Memorable events during Baba’s trip to London

By Om Vishnupad 108 Tridandi Swami Sri Srimat Bhakti Sravan Tirtha Goswami Maharaj

(This article appeared in the Guru Purnima 2004 issue of Niladri magazine. The article is in the first person spoken by Baba Himself.)

The auspicious tithi of the birth anniversary of Lord Sri Krishna Chaitanya Mahaprabhu was on 6th of March 2004.

In the first week of February I had gone to Sri Dham Vrindavan along with a group of devotees to offer prayers and perform parikrama of Giriraj Govardhan.

As usual, I stayed at Sri Radha Ashoka Hotel located on the Mathura Road Highway. On the day of arrival at Sridham Vrindavan, I went for Sri Yamuna Vihar at 5 p.m., by boat from Kushighat along with the devotees.

After the boat ride, the devotees left for Dhanuka Ashram to have Prasad, while I along with my sevaks returned to my hotel room.

At around 8 p.m. when I was busy in my puja, there was a gentle knock at the door and a young girl entered. She prostrated herself before me and told me that I must go to the UK in the first week of April after observing the birth anniversary festival of Sri Krishna Chaitanya Mahaprabhu.

She further stated that I had not been keeping well for sometime and told me that it was nice that I had started the mobile medical hospitals scheme and that I would establish them in every state of the country.

“You must assign the responsibility of running these hospitals to a select group of disciples,” she said. “The efforts of establishing Mahaprabhu Sri Gouranga Medical College & Research Centres in Orissa and West Bengal will be successful”.

True to the prophecy, the scheme for establishing medical college and hospitals equipped with most advanced and latest technologies are taking shape at Bhubaneshwar in Orissa and at Dhubulia in West Bengal.

She also said that during my UK trip, four medical colleges of Britain namely Guys Hospital, St.Thomas Hospital, Royal London Hospital and Whibs Cross Hospital will come forward to help and that my health would improve during my stay in the UK.

After that I left for U.K. in the first week of April 2004 and stayed in London upto 24th April 2004. During this period, contacts were established with the four medical colleges named earlier and they came forward to help in the project of establishing the medical college and hospitals in Orissa and West Bengal.

During this trip to London many astonishing incidents occurred. Out of that, one interesting incident is mentioned here.

While in Britain, my visit to these institutions enabled me to see the latest equipment and techniques in medical science. The courteous behaviour of the doctors there and modern system of medicine were very impressive. During this time, one special incident took place during my visit to Guys Hospital.

Among many famous doctors in this hospital, one name worth mentioning is of Dr. Prakar Das Gupta, a specialist of international repute and head of the Urology Department there.

His surgical technique of using robots was very impressive and I am determined to bring this technology in the medical colleges here.

After visiting different departments of this hospital, we got tired by 4 p.m. Dr. Das Gupta said that Baba has not taken anything since morning that it was time now to go home and take rest.

Guys Hospital Gate, London

Then it was decided that I must visit the Royal London Hospital where some eminent doctors were waiting for me and then I should return.

Now Dr. Kachuria, who had accompanied me, tried to contact the driver of my car from his mobile phone but was unable to contact him. Dr. Das Gupta and others also joined in locating him but without much success.

We all came to the main entrance of Guys Hospital but the driver was still not traceable. Then a strange incident occurred.

At a little distance from the gate, an elderly gentleman with tears in his eyes was puffing away vigorously at a cigarette held in his hand. A young girl with a dusky complexion was also there, continuously gazing at me.

I put my hand on the back of that elderly gentleman and asked him why he had tears in his eyes and why was he smoking like an engine? The old man stood up and told me that the reason for his sorrow was the cruel behaviour of his sons and daughters who had hurt him; they had left him and gone to Scotland.

While saying this, he broke down and started crying. Then he said that he did not even have money to go back to his house and was absolutely penniless. Now the young girl attired like an Australian (henceforth called Ma) came forward and asked the old man in English how much money he needed.

The old man asked for 10 pounds. The Ma gave 30 pounds to me and commanded me to give this money to the old man. I told her that I also had 30 pounds with me but she told me to keep my money and insisted that I give the money given by her to the old man.

Then she asked the old man to do “pranam” to me. Since he did not know how to do this, she demonstrated and the old man bowed his head and touched my feet. Then the old man asked for a taxi. Ma took my mobile phone, dialed a number and told the old man that a taxi was on it way to take him back to his house.

Ma then informed me that one of my devotees Dr. Goswami was very ill at Edinburgh and asked to go and see him. I was surprised as to how she knew about Dr. Goswami who had taken mantra diksha from me about 40 years ago.

She took my mobile again and got me in touch with Dr. Goswami. He was dumbfounded hearing my voice. We talked for about 10 minutes.

Meanwhile a taxi pulled up and the old man left. One of the doctors of Guys Hospital was also standing there and watching all this. All along Ma was talking in English. Now she started talking to me in Bengali.

She gave an invaluable sermon about medical colleges and hospitals. She also asked me not to meet people beyond appointed hours, to take rest regularly and to do Bhagavat Path.

She specifically mentioned that there will be no obstacles in my plans of health services to the poor and needy. Then she took out a small purse, handed it to me and said that there is a letter and some other things and that I should open the purse later.

She again stated that there would be no problems with respect to the planned hospitals and if there would be any, to simply remember her. When I asked for her address, she said everything was in the purse. Then she took a picture of mine from me, gave it to the doctor who was standing there and asked him to leave.

Her tone was always very commanding. She told me that she would meet me very often and that I should talk to the doctors about medical hospitals and colleges in India.

Later I returned to the residence of Dr Shrabani Das Mahapatra, my host, after visiting the Royal London Hospital.

After Horlicks seva in the evening, I opened the purse. There were 101 pounds, one gold coin and a letter in it. There were instructions to use the money for ‘vishesh seva’. In the letter, the address was given in the end as “Ma Katyayini, Vrindavan, Mathura”.

On 25th April 2004, I was travelling in the airplane on seat no.1A at 09:55 a.m. (UK time) on my return journey from England to India. After about 3 hours of flight, suddenly I had an excruciating pain in my back. It was very agonizing. Wherever I travel, my seva samagri is always with me.

A stewardess came up and asked if I was alright. I told her that I had back pain but I refused to take the medicine she offered me. Then another stewardess came and said a lady wanted to see me. I told her to bring her. When she came I saw that she was the same Ma with whom I had met at the gate of Guys Hospital.

She said to me, you have a pain in your back and then put her hand on my back and the pain disappeared. She sat on the seat near me and wanted to listen to the first shloka of the ‘Rasa Panchadyayi’. I explained to her the import of the verse for about 25 minutes. She appeared to be very happy and praised it very much.

Then she called the airhostess and asked her to make arrangements for my sleep. On her insistence, I went to bed and fell asleep.

When I woke up she was not there. The stewardess came and told me that Ma had conveyed for me that she will meet me again, that I should not worry and continue to serve her.

Om Vishnupad 108 Tridandi Swami Sri Srimat Bhakti Sravan Goswami Maharaj ki Jai !!

Jai Sri Radhey

Jai Guru